Sunday, January 31, 2010

Curried Cauliflower & Turnip Soup


Soup week finished up last week with 101 Cookbooks' Broccoli Cheddar Soup with mustard croutons (yum!) and this Curried Cauliflower & Turnip Soup.

Curried Cauliflower & Turnip Soup
I prefer my soups on the thick side - if you like yours thinner, start with more broth, or have extra on hand to add in at the end if necessary. Also, this soup has a pretty subtle curry flavor, because I didn't want to overwhelm the delicate flavors of the veggies, but if you are a big curry fan, feel free to add more to taste.

1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups chopped turnips
2 cups veggie broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon curry powder (I used mild)
salt to taste (I used a salty bouillon cube, so found I didn't need to add any)

In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat (or just put the olive oil in it). Add the onions and cook gently for 5 or so minutes until they are translucent. Add the cauliflower, turnips, and broth, and simmer until the veggies can be easily pierced with a knife. Remove from the heat and puree - either with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender - and then whisk in the Parmesan and curry powder. I topped ours with homemade croutons and freshly ground pepper, but an added dusting of Parmesan would be good too!

Serves 2-3

4 comments:

Alice said...

I miss eating your soup out of those bowls

Lindsay-Jean said...

Oh thanks Alice! Only 89 days until we (and our cute bowls) are back in the States!

Tami said...

Your soup week photos are great. I love those bowls!

Lindsay-Jean said...

Thanks Tami!