Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jeni's Ice Cream

One of the highlights of my trip back to the States was a road trip to Columbus, Ohio. It's a fun city with a vibrant nightlife, and is worth a visit even if you aren't lucky enough to have a delightful sister living there like I am.

Almost every time I'm in town, I want to make a stop at Jeni's ice cream. The ice cream is fantastic, smooth and creamy with intense flavors, and less of the cloyingly sweetness found in most other American ice cream. The signature flavors are always available (salty caramel has a well-deserved cult-like following), but there are also seasonal flavors that, you guessed it, change seasonally.

It was a cold, windy night, and I was fairly certain that it was far too chilly for consuming ice cream, but our group went into Jeni's anyway. And my mind was very quickly changed when I saw this.



That's right. White Chocolate Evergreen with a Red Currant Garland. "Evergreen is sweet and fragrant with a breath of pine on the finish. White chocolate flecks and handmade red currant sauce are swirled in generously. Like snowflakes on an old fashioned Christmas tree!"

Wow. I was completely sold by the description, and deservedly so, the flavor was incredible. I really can't do a better job of describing it than Jeni did herself, but I will add that although it might sound odd to some, the white chocolate evergreen base was lovely. It evoked winter and Christmastime, and bringing home the perfect freshly cut tree for decorating, all without being too strong. I was concerned that I might feel like I was chewing on my Christmas tree, but it wasn't nearly that intense, it truly was just perfect.

If you'd like to try that flavor, or any other, and Columbus happens to be a bit too far away for you to get to, Jeni's does ship within the US....

3 comments:

Alison said...

Yay for Jeni's!! We're still eating those Christmas cookies by the way, and they're still delicious!

Alison said...

Just had some Jeni's black currant sorbet and it may be my favorite flavor of all time. We splurged for the pint since they don't sell it individually and it was very worth it. You'll have to try it on your next trip!

Lindsay-Jean said...

Yum! That sounds fantastic. I'm still wishing I had splurged on a pint of the yuzu juniper sorbet...guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that they'll repeat it again next winter.