Monday, July 27, 2009

Burn Baby Burn

Yesterday we spent the day at Utsumi Beach with some of M's soccer buddies. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and after liberally spraying myself with 50 spf, I read on our mat for about an hour, and then spent the rest of the time under the umbrella that M had rented. I am crazy about sun protection, with light skin, freckles, and cases of skin cancer in my family, I think it's extra important to be. I will also harass others around me to make sure they have sunscreen on, so with how fanatical I am about spf, I can't tell you the last time that I had a sunburn.


Or I couldn't have anyway. Because I am sporting a vibrant shade of tomato over almost the entire front of my body. I say almost, because there are a few streaks of white patches where the sunscreen did its job. I thought I had given myself a thorough application of spf, but it was a really windy day, and lotion would have been the better option. My spray seemingly sprayed away from me instead of onto me. Lesson (very very painfully) learned.

We packed up to leave as the clouds began rolling in, and we heard thunder back towards Nagoya. But before we left, we were all delighted to see this man taking his pet for a walk.


Seriously, when is the last time you've seen a man walking a goat on the beach?! Loved it.

It turned out that the thunder we'd heard was connected to some pretty heavy downpours in Nagoya. Enough to delay and then cancel multiple trains, resulting in an interesting and lengthy trip home - but we made it, and it was a memorable end to a memorable day.

No comments: