Saturday, January 7, 2012

Why is This Vintage?

I love this ad. So much.

(Image found on: CMYBacon)

Yes, it also rules because she's a redhead, but it is so refreshing so see a product advertised to girls without gobs of pink, princesses, pink, sparkles, pink, ruffles, pink, flowers, pink, butterflies, pink, bows, and a little more pink. Unfortunately the ad is decades old.

I happen to like all (okay, most) of the above, but hello moderation. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new line of girl LEGO sets (or all of the super specific LEGO sets for that matter - basic LEGO sets are awesome, and encourage creativity!). I think we're overdoing the explosion of gender-specific toys, clothing, and their corresponding advertising. I don't know what this little girl built, but she's certainly happy about it. Can't we get back to encouraging kids to just be kids?

No comments: