Saturday, September 13, 2008

Summer Sun in Seto

Yesterday A, M, & I went to Seto and met up with Y & N for the city's annual pottery festival. It was a great event, and all of us found a lot of great deals.

It happened to be a very warm and very sunny day, so the vast majority of Japanese women were covered head to toe in clothing and carrying parasols, while I was a human puddle in shorts and a tank top. N was wearing long capri pants which left maybe 4-5 inches of leg exposed, and she told me that the sun was hurting her skin. I ended up with a good sunburn even after loading on the spf earlier in the day, but I just can't imagine trying to wear long pants and long sleeves in the heat and humidity here.



The women here even stay shielded from the sun while biking, there are special clips you can attach to your bike that your parasol can lock into so you don't have to hold it while you bike. I've also seen hand/arm protectors that are connected to the handlebars, so you can just slip your arms in and be protected from the sun.

No comments: